Powered By Blogger

Thursday, May 17, 2012

League Topic - Geek Confessions!



This week’s league topic:
—-
What is something you absolutely hate or love or just don’t get, or maybe it’s something you have never even seen or read. What is your deepest, darkest geek confession?

Honestly, I wasn't sure what to make of this topic.  I was sketchy on it being the nerdiest thing I ever did or an embarassingly nerdy guilty pleasure or vise-versa being a guilty pleasure which is entirely un-nerdy within its characteristics.  Oh hell, I'll just start writing and see where it takes me...

Disclaimer:  These are just my opinions.  I can't say they are popular.  If you disagree, I wholeheartedly respect that and I bear no ill will toward any opposing thoughts.  In the world of pop culture, it is our differing opinions which keep the evolutionary ball turning.  Unfortunately, if some of these points make me lose cred, so be it.

In no particular order:

I've never attended a comic convention/toy fair/video game competition of any sort and it deeply shames and pains me to admit this.  I really have no excuse and I lived in Philadelphia for half a decade... I guess small living quarters and financial constraints kept me from justifying buying anything that would pretty much have to go directly into a closet. (If, at that time, I even had the closet space)

I've never owned a single issue of any mainstream marvel or dc superhero comic....unless you count Spawn...which I don't think many of you do.  However, I've read about Superhero origins and plot structures on Wiki pages, watched cartoons, collected toys and cards, etc.

Robot Chicken annoys the hell out of me...as does most of Adult Swim's lineup  (especially whenever they bring up Star Wars)  I don't know if it's because I can't stand Seth Green  (who just seems like a cocky prick) or if there's something broader to it.  Their "funny" Star Wars stuff feels like a nail in my spine.

Die

Watchmen bored the hell out of me. (which sucked because I really wanted to like it and was super pumped to see it.)  The same could be said for, "Scott Pilgrim Vs. the World".

At what point am I supposed to begin enjoying this film?

When a local weatherman came to my school in the second grade and he asked us if we knew of any types of natural disasters, I answered, "Gozer the Gozarian."  It didn't go over well.

Earthquakes, Tsunamis, no.... Gozer the Gozarian

I owned Hero Quest and never played it once.

Even if this box wasn't in German, I still would have no idea what they were doing.

I could draw Super Mario rightside up or upside down in 10 seconds.

Didn't know who Dr. Who was until I was 28 years old.  (Besides for the line Comic Book Guy said on the Simpsons back in the day)

Saw "Starship Troopers" in the theater 5 times....as well as "Star Trek: First Contact"...honorable (or dishonorable) mention to "Mars Attacks!" which I saw three times.

Don't get the appeal of MMORPGs and anything Blizzard makes... or any Dragon Quest game to boot.

I think Ocarina of Time is completely overrated. (this was my first post on Destructoid.com's blogrolls and boy did I get some hate-mail)

Bored.

I enjoyed the "Ninja Turtles: Coming out of their Shells" concert VHS tape.  Even as a 9 year old, I should have known better.

Never beat Punch Out, Metroid, or any Castlevania, Mega Man, Ninja Gaiden, Double Dragon game.

Screens like this are burned into my memory


I just can't get into "the Walking Dead"... I've tried on several occasions and like it less each time.   Even planned my night around the last season premier to be utterly disappointed.  Tried to sell my wife on it who, also, did not enjoy it.  Bizarre because we love zombie stuff.  Why can't they just make a Left 4 Dead movie? 

When I was 13, I sold two fully loaded Cobra TerrorDromes for 20 dollars....Why God, Why?

I'm really going to enjoy paying the 300 odd dollars to get this back eventually.

I slept with a Gizmo doll well into college.

That is all.



Check these confessions out as well!

Memories of Toymorrow has no time for blast processing or Bits.

Ashley at Life with Fandom has no time for playing dress up.

The Surfing Pizza has nightmares of world 8-4.


5 comments:

  1. Holy banana tamles. There's a few things on here that I want to go "ARE YOU INSANE?!" over, but I won't, because this week's topic is all about sharing our secrets and being accepted for them (or despite them).

    That being said, there are several things I agree with you on; Robot Chicken is annoying, MMOs suck and Walking Dead is a snore fest.

    But the fact that you owned HeroQuest and never played it... criminal.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Reis, it was a gamble and I went with it. As for HeroQuest, I bought it thinking I could sell people on how cool it was like my cousins and such. No takers though so I was left with an awesome game with nobody to play with.

    Even the commercial was epic "I'll use my BROADSWORD!!!" "FIRE OF WRATH!!!"... never again will a board game get a marketing presentation of such magnitude.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Reis...take it easy...everyone makes mistakes...I owned every Star Frontiers Boxed Set and never played a minute....if that counts :) But cmon, I gotta stick up for Robot Chicken !! Its great..just has to lay off the Star Wars...getting a bit played..

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like that you ended it with that Gizmo reveal. I agree about Robot Chicken. I just don't get it either.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow, I was going through a lot of these and thinking "That's how I feel!"

    Agree on almost all counts except for the TMNT one b/c I don't really know what "Coming out of their shells" is and the very first one because I have attended five Transformers conventions. But no others.

    And I sold a G1 Scorponok when I was 13 for probably $20. Ugh.

    ReplyDelete

Just adding a bit more security to the comments section due to a very high increase in spammers. Thanks for commenting!